Pages

January 25, 2012

Spicy Chicken & Black Bean Quesadillas

It's always easier to fix dinner when you know it's going to be good. And by good I mean mouth watering - deliciously satisfying - can't help but eat more then you should - comfort food type of good.

Tonight's dinner was just that. Good.



This afternoon as I mentally planned tonight's meal and raked by brain for what was at home in my cupboards and in the refrigerator, I knew it had to be something quick and easy as we had somewhere to be later in the evening. Working off of a recipe over here I improvised with the ingredients I had on hand and came up with these spicy chicken and bean bean quesadillas for a quick and easy dinner for tonight (sometime I want try these southwest chicken wraps, they look mouth watering!).



These quesedilla's are absolutely the perfect quick and easy weeknight meal and as I already mentioned they are mouth watering good.

To start with I heated my black beans in a saucepan and then added some chicken, jalapeno and then to give it a little kick and some real good flavor I seasoned the mixture with some spices. Smells so good!


Then I get my pan going with a little bit of olive oil and these really good flour tortillas from Trader Joes (believe me, they are the best flour tortilla shells I have ever had).



I top the shell with a little cheese, followed by my bean and chicken mixture. I top all of that with a little avocado and green onions and place my second shell on top and give it a little squish.


Once my bottom shell has browned and the cheese is starting to melt I carefully flip the whole thing and cook for a few more minutes.

The end result... good food.


Spicy Chicken & Black Bean Quesadillas


Ingredients:
Tortilla shells (I like to use flour unless we are in a gluten free mood and then I use corn)
Two boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
One can of black beans, drained
One cup of shredded mixed cheese blend
One large avocado, diced
1/2 of a jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup green onions sliced thin
Juice from one lime
Garlic powder
Chili powder
Cumin
Salt
Olive Oil

Directions:
1. Place black beans in a small saucepan on low heat. Make sure to stir and keep the heat low to avoid burning.

2. To the black beans add, diced chicken and diced jalapeno. Stir to combine.

3. Season the bean & chicken mixture with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and the juice from one lime. Stir to combine. (I don't really measure the seasonings, so just give them a few shakes and you'll be good to go)

4. Meanwhile, on medium heat drizzle a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet. Once the oil is warm, place the tortilla shell in the skillet and cover the shell with a layer of cheese.

5. Spoon some of the bean & chicken mixture on top of the cheese. Top that with some green onions and avocado.

6. Place the second tortilla shell on top and when the bottom tortilla starts to brown flip the entire quesadilla over until the second shell is browned and the cheese is melted.

7. Once the quesadilla is finished cooking remove from pan, cut into pie shapes (or any shape). Serve with sour cream, guacamole, or just eat plain like we did tonight! Yummmmm!


You can make this with any variation of ingredients, tomatoes, sausage, corn, spinach, kale, the list goes on! You really can't mess this up, well.... maybe you could.

I hope you enjoy! Happy cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment