Pages

January 14, 2013

mirror monday: do i really believe

I just finished reading The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. What an inspiring story! The Ten Boom family lived in Holland during World War II, and became part of the underground movement hiding Jews from the Nazi and orchestrating the safe passage of so many Jews into hiding all over the country.

Eventually Corrie and her sister Betsie were discovered for their work in the underground movement and arrested. They were thrown in prison and eventually transferred to two different concentration camps. Throughout it all their faith in God remained unwavering.

Upon arriving at one of the concentration camps each women was ordered to strip naked and leave all their clothes and possessions behind. In addition to a sweater, and a small bottle of vitamin drops, Corrie and Betsie had a small precious Bible they had been carrying with them.

Each woman was given a thin prison dress to wear, nothing else. Although they were told to leave everything behind, Corrie and her sister refused to let go of the precious Word of God that they clung to so dearly. Although she risked being beaten or shot, Corrie smuggled the Bible, along with the sweater and vitamins underneath her prison dress. When inspection time came each women was thoroughly patted down one by one in a long line of women. Corrie who held the Word of God under her dress was miraculously skipped each time. No other explanation but a miracle of God can be given for how this happened.

I can tell you that when I look in the mirror, I do not see a person with the faith that Corrie and Bestie had. In a way, I'm jealous. Their faith in God was all they had. The truth is, the same God that saved Corrie and Betsie from being brutally beaten or killed by the guards is the same powerful God that wants to work in my life. Do I really believe that? I don't act like I believe that. I have 1000 different things distracting me at any given moment from iphone Apps to Nordstrom catalogues to the comforts of my own home, my favorite TV shows and my daily routine that I'm flat out missing out on experiencing the power of God in my life.

Stuff.

How pathetic.

How cunning of the evil one.

My goal: to be less consumed with stuff and more consumed with what God is doing and how He wants me to join with Him in the miraculous things He is doing!





top: garage sale | vest: Nike | leggings: Favuer | necklace: Favuer 


No comments:

Post a Comment