Pages

August 19, 2011

broiled pastrami & turkey sandwich with cheese and avocado

Oh Patsrami, where have you been all my life?

I know that I promised that my next blog would be about my journey to learning to live a healthy life, but I just had the most amazing sandwich and I absolutely could not wait to share it with you!

I knew I grew up a little sheltered but I didn't realize how sheltered until this week when I had my first ever taste of pastrami. Yeah, that's right, the meat, the kind that you can just throw on a sandwich and call it good. How I missed this amazing goodness until I was almost 30 (yes 11 days and counting) I do not know.

So, for lunch today I hurried home to my cute little package of pastrami from Trader Joes and whipped myself up a darn good sandwich if I do say so myself.

Pastrami, for the rest of my fellow sheltered friends is just cured beef. It is typically cured in a salt brine with some other good spices and then smoked. The package that I picked up from Trader Joes happens to have no added Nitrates which is a very good thing.



Lunches can become a little boring when you have the same turkey and cheese sandwich day in and day out. Thankfully, Ryan is a good sport and has never once complained about my lack of creativity in lunch packing. But, every once in a while it's fun to mix it up a bit.

Like I said today I made the best sandwich I've had in a long time and the best part is that is was so simple and easy! A slice of turkey (also from Trader Joes) a slice or two of pastrami, once slice of pepper jack cheese and sliced avocado.

Now I'm only gonna say this once (not really) but the most important part is the salt and pepper that you put on top of the avocado. Doing this really brings out the flavor of the avocado and makes it less bland.

Now the next most important part is the broiling technique. This is just how I do it and it works for me, so I think it will work for you too! I take one piece of bread and place my turkey, pastrami, avocado (don't forget the salt & pepper) and cheese on the bread and place it on a pan. Next to that I place my other piece of bread that will become the top to my amazingly amazing sandwich. Next I place the pan under the broiler in my oven and keep and eye on it. Once the cheese reaches the desired melty cheesyness and the bread "top" gets a little brown, place the top on the sandwich and flip the entire sandwich so that bottom gets a chance to get all crunchy brown too.

There is no need to waste any fat calories on dressing or condiments. With the melted cheese and rich avocado this sandwich is ready to go! You can make this sandwich with so many other things such as crisp romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, really whatever you want.



Wow, I'm getting hungry just thinking about this sandwich. I think I know what I'll be having for dinner tonight!

Broiled Pastrami & Turkey Sandwich with Cheese and Avocado

Ingredients
2 slices of good bread (I recommend Good Seed by Dave's Killer Bread)
1 slice of turkey
2 slices of pastrami
1/4 medium avocado - sliced
I slice of pepper jack cheese
Salt & Pepper


Instructions
Layer turkey, pastrami, avocado and cheese on once piece of the bread, making sure to salt and pepper the avocado. Make sure the cheese is on top and place the bread on a baking pan. Place the empty piece of bread on the pan as well and place it under the broiler.

Broil for about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Make sure not burn your empty piece of bread. Once the cheese is done, place the top on the sandwich and flip the entire sandwich over to give the bottom side a chance to get brown and crunchy.

Once that is done, remove from the oven and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment